Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Trunk makers

Question
I am looking for info on a Henry D. Moore.  He made trunks around 1880.  He was issued a patent in 1874 for a latch that he and Samuel Mills invented.

Answer
Richard,

Henry D. Moore made trunks in Brooklyn, NY in the 1870's to 1890's based on the little information I have found on him in the past.  I actually researched him some because I had a couple trunks made by his company. Like nearly all trunk makers of that time, his business was probably fairly small and local, meaning he probably employed a few men and boys that made a variety of trunk styles and sold them through either his own store or through local trunk and luggage stores. From business directories of Brooklyn, NY I found that there were several trunk makers in that area, which was common for most towns and cities. In fact another trunk maker, James Spear, was located next door to Moore. I have seen and read the details of Moore's patent which was for a latch that would slide out from the bottom sides of a trunk to hold the tray up and out of the way in order to get to items in the bottom without completely removing the tray.  I have not yet actually seen one of those latches/tray holders in a trunk, so they obviously were never in widespread use as many other trunk parts were. One problem was that there were several other patents for tray holders that became much more popular, including one patented by Charles Taylor of Chicago, and found on many trunks. I have not found any other items patented by Henry D. Moore.  There is really very little information available on most trunk makers of the 1800's, except for a few of the larger trunk makers of Boston and New York. Henry Moore's business was probably much smaller than some of the more well known makers such as Charles Taylor, Crouch & Fitzgerald, or Martin Maier.  I hope that helps you some.  Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller