Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old wood furniture

Question
Hi Eileen,
I have a 70 year old wooden child's rocker (girls), that is scratched and the carvings are dusty looking.

How can I clean up the wood, without destroying the patina - I don't want to strip it, just make it look better.

Same goes for an old chest with ornate handles.  It's been in my family forever.  When I really look at it, I can see that it looks pretty ratty, but again don't want it stripped.  I think both pieces are walnut.

Thank you,
Agnes

Answer
Hi Agnes
Nice to hear from you.
I would simply give the pieces a cleaning with soft rags and mineral spirits.
Pour some spirits in a dish, dip the rag and wipe well over the wood. Dry with clean rags as you go.
Follow this with a nice paste waxing.
Thanks for writing
Eileen

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk