Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pinball Manufacturer

Pinball Top
Pinball Top  
Pinball Side
Pinball Side  
QUESTION: I have attached two pictures of a pinball machine I own.  There are no markings on it either inside or out to indicate who manufactured it.  Just wondering if you have any idea who made it and where I could get parts to refurbish it.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Greg, You have a SHooting Star, made by Daval Co. of chicago IL in December of 1934.  Around this period Manufacturers started using electric solenoids for propel the ball around the playfield.  Yours is one of this type.  Parts are very hard to come by, depending what you need. Try and the yahoo group "prewar pinball" someone there may be able to help you.  Good Luck!   Larry

Please don't do any research on this, but I was just wondering if you had ever seen this game either in person or in a picture?  You were very quick to identify it and I was hoping you may have found it somewhere.  I have scoured the internet for Daval Manufacturing pinball machines and have not come across a single mention of this particular game.  As far as I can tell, I am the only remaining owner of one of these units.  Again, if you had a source that allowed you identified it, great.  If not, don't worry about it.  Thanks.

Hi Greg, I got the date from my Pinball Price guide, which I used to publish. I haven't seen an example of your game.  You mightwant to join the yahoo group and put in a query.   When they made metal castings for a game they usually made hundreds, so I'm sure the game was made in quantities. I recently ran across another Daval game(they made a couple dozen different ones) which was the only one I've ever seen.  In most cases calling these games exceedingly rare would work.  I had an only one known 30's pinball, until 6 more were found in England!  There are a number of factors that affect the price on these early games.  It's just as likely that a common game is worth a lot more than a rare one.  That being said, I have your game listed in the Guide at $500 in excellent condition.  There are some great games from that period.  SOunds like you've got the start of a collection! :) Greg if you are ok with it and you have some pics can you email them to me? is a resource of all pinballs and I can submit your game so they have one for people to look at.  send to  Thanks. Larry

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Larry Bieza

I can answer virtually any question relating to coin operated machines. I have been a BUYER and COLLECTOR for over 25 years and have authored a number of PRICE GUIDES on the subject. My favorite coin operated items are penny arcade machines and pinball games, although I have a vast knowledge in all areas. I also have a huge quantity of coin operated paper advertising which can help date and identify most items.I can answer questions on vending machines, arcade machines, fortune tellers, slot machines, digger/crane machines, gumball machines, peanut machine, gum machine, strength testers, lung testers, pinball machines, gambling machines, bowling machines, etc. I have expertise in the machines from Mills Novelty, Caille, Watling, Keeney, Genco, Chicago Coin, Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, etc.

I have written a number of Price Guides for penny arcade machines AND for pinball games and am considered one of the experts in the hobby on pricing.

I come from the school of experience. Collecting Coin operated items is my life and hopefully you have some questions to test my abilities!