Collectibles-General (Antiques)/small A&C table, screw head

small table
small table  

Hi Robert:

One more question, please! I just bought this little table (I left the shoe in for scale). I like it's A&C styling, but it seems to be a cheaply made little dude. It's solid oak, but kind of wobbly and very poorly stained/varnished. I was planning to take it apart (there are screws at the 8 joints), refinish, and put it together more tightly. But MAN, those weird little screws are in there tight. So tight, in fact, that I'm wondering if this might be a fastener of some kind I'm not aware of. They are unusual looking (slot doesn't go all the way across the head), and I haven't been able to budge them yet. My main question: Is this some common old-style screw that was used in furniture manufacture? If I had the name of that screw type, I could do some research on how to deal with them.

Secondary question: Is this table of a recognizable brand?

Thank you again, Robert.

the screw head is unlike any i have seen.  rather than take this apart and risk damaging the fasteners i recommend a pocket screw being added from underneath, pre drill the hole and all as it should be and tighten this way.  normally i would never do this but the risk of damaging the original fasteners outweighs the altering of the piece.

if you decide to remove the fastener use a soldering iron to heat the head of the screw then making sure the screwdriver fits the slot, try to turn the screw.  dont break it.

i have studied nail and screw making, changes and styles from the late 1700s on and have not seen this.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971