Collectibles-General (Antiques)/small A&C table, screw head

Question
small table
small table  

screw
screw  
Hi Robert:

One more question, please! I just bought this little table (I left the shoe in for scale). I like it's A&C styling, but it seems to be a cheaply made little dude. It's solid oak, but kind of wobbly and very poorly stained/varnished. I was planning to take it apart (there are screws at the 8 joints), refinish, and put it together more tightly. But MAN, those weird little screws are in there tight. So tight, in fact, that I'm wondering if this might be a fastener of some kind I'm not aware of. They are unusual looking (slot doesn't go all the way across the head), and I haven't been able to budge them yet. My main question: Is this some common old-style screw that was used in furniture manufacture? If I had the name of that screw type, I could do some research on how to deal with them.

Secondary question: Is this table of a recognizable brand?

Thank you again, Robert.

Dutch

Answer
the screw head is unlike any i have seen.  rather than take this apart and risk damaging the fasteners i recommend a pocket screw being added from underneath, pre drill the hole and all as it should be and tighten this way.  normally i would never do this but the risk of damaging the original fasteners outweighs the altering of the piece.

if you decide to remove the fastener use a soldering iron to heat the head of the screw then making sure the screwdriver fits the slot, try to turn the screw.  dont break it.

i have studied nail and screw making, changes and styles from the late 1700s on and have not seen this.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein