Collectibles-General (Antiques)/suitcase c1940's ?

old suitcase
old suitcase  
Hi Mr.Miller,
I have an older "tweed,brn/yellow(4)striped,leather handled,hard shell suitcase" I'm thinking c1940-50's... I believe it was purchased in Europe ? Is there any way you could give me more info. on its manufacturer and date it was from. It is small 15"x10"x6", with no key locks, just latches.
 ANY info. would be greatly appreciated...

THX very much !!!

Oshkosh Trunks Ad
Oshkosh Trunks Ad  
Yes, I also believe your suitcase was made from about 1940 to the 1950's. Striped designs and the tweed look was very popular during that time. I know that one of the first companies to use the striped design in the U.S. was the Oshkosh Trunk Company of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and I have seen advertising showing some of their trunks and suitcases from the late 1920's to the 1950's. I don't know if they were the first, but their designs were unique and not quite the same as on your suitcase.  But I have seen a variety of striped designs on old suitcases over the years. There were so many companies making these and very little information is now available on the companies and I cannot tell you which company made this, or if it is American or European made.  If there were any markings on it that indicated a company or patent numbers I could probably help more.  There are people who collect these old suitcases and they like to find different designs and styles.  I'm attaching an Oshkosh ad from the mid 1930's.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.