Collectibles-General (Antiques)/A sweet little rocker

Question
old rocker (1)
old rocker (1)  

old rocker - rope bottom
old rocker - rope bott  
Hello Mr. Taylor!  

I seem to have an affinity for old, homeless rocking chairs ... they all have a story!  This little lady in the pic was headed straight for the dumpster before she made her way home with me. She has no distinguishing markings, etc but from perusing the wealth of info on allexperts.com, it seems to me that she's a nursing/sewing rocker.  Can you tell me anything else about her ... age, style, market value?  

Thanks so much!

Robin

Answer
Robin - The style of the chair is Arts & Craft/Mission from the early 20th century. However, I do not believe this chair is of the period. It appears to be later reproduction. It would be classified as a sewing or nursing rocker.

The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to feminine tasks. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

Here is an example of the real thing circa 1912-1917 made by L. &J.G. Stickley that sold at auction for $350.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1180206

I believe your chair would sell at auction in the $100-$150 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
“HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE”
www.furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor