Collectibles-General (Antiques)/trunck

Question
trunk
trunk  
I found this trunk in a old house. It has S. Levy Trunks Memphis Tenn. on the lock just wanting to know the history on it. It also has a tag below the lock with the number 232 on it. Thanks

Answer
Levy Label
Levy Label  

Shoe Sample Trunk
Shoe Sample Trunk  
Hello Gene,

Soloman Levy was a trunk maker in Memphis from the late 1860's to the late 1890's. He was originally from Prussia and was 55 years old in 1870 based on census data from Memphis, TN. He was one of 16 trunk makers listed in the 1870 census for Memphis.  Most cities had a number of trunk makers, most of which are unknown today. You are fortunate that the name was on your trunk because many are found unmarked and unlabeled. Based on the style of the trunk and hardware, I can tell you that this was specifically made as a "Sample Trunk". That means it was used by traveling salesmen to carry mechandise samples, such as shoes, etc. I can also see the words "Brand Shoes" on the front of the trunk along with others, which also indicates it was originally marked with the name of the company as many sample trunks were.  The tag with the number was a way that they company kept track of the trunks. The hardware styles indicate the trunk was not made prior to about 1880, which is typical as most of these were made from the late 1880's to about 1920, when traveling salesmen were quite common. The trunks were made large and heavy duty to withstand a lot of hard use. They are usually canvas or vulcanized fiber covered, have heavy iron hardware, and brass locks. The Levy company didn't make the locks but had them made with their name on them, by companies such as Eagle Lock Co.  This is the typical shape and size of a shoe sample trunk. Over the years I have seen and owned a variety of them, some with brightly painted Shoe company logo's on the front and back.  Most likely, this trunk was made and used in the 1890's. I also have a couple labels from the S. Levy company and will attach one for you to see.  I hope this has been helpful to you.
Marvin Miller,  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller