Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Violin case

latch detail
latch detail  
QUESTION: I bought a violin that came in this case.  The previous owner bought the violin in 1933 in Boston.  I saw the Eagle lock and your name in a search.  Here are some photos.  Can you tell me anything about this case - age, materials, etc? Do you need more photos? I can only include 2

ANSWER: Hi Matt,

The lock and latches from Eagle Lock company are brass and a style they made from about 1920 to about 1954 when the company closed.  Most musical instrument cases of that time were made of a body of thin wood covered with either leather or painted canvas.  I used to own an old trumpet made in 1935 and it had a similar looking case but it was covered with black painted canvas.  Your case appears to be leather which has a black finish. It's a little difficult sometimes to tell if it's leather from a picture but the worn edges where it's brown appears to be leather.  As far as the age goes, based on the style of those latches I would estimate this could have been made from about 1920 or 1930's.   I hope that helps.  

QUESTION: Here are two images.  Would it have been typical for the handle to be wrapped like that?  Is that twine of some sort?  Here is a shot of the most worn corner.  Can you tell what that material is?

I can see from the close up picture that the case is leather covered over a wood body, as I expected. I do not believe that is the original wrapping on the handle, but it has been wrapped with that linen cord or twine, probably because the leather covering had worn through. Hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.