Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Dresser?

Front of dresser
Front of dresser  

Stamp on dresser
Stamp on dresser  

I have a dresser that I am not sure if it is an antique or what it is. It certainly looks very old and well made with thick wood planks making up the back and solid wood used for the bottom of the drawers. It is scratched on the top of the dresser and most likely needs refinishing but I want to try and sell it "as is" if possible.
The only markings I am able to find are on the back and it says "47 Wal" and then something about being patented in 1930. Can you tell me what brand this is, possibly what eat its from and what you think it is worth? And if this is something antique dealers/collectors may be interested in?
I have a lot more pictures if needed.

Thank you!

it is an oak dresser, the front being quarter sawn oak veneer.  it would have had a mirror at one time.  the form, style and materials used and construction tell me it was a quality piece.

the 47 is the stain color or inventory number, wal means i was stained walnut color at the factory.

what i find odd is the writing on the back.  this appears to be an older dresser than 1930 but if that is the right back then that date would be the earliest it could be.

as to brand, there were thousands of manufacturers in operation so without a label there is no way anyone can tell you which one.

it is certain that it is oak, the writing seems out of place but it is possible it was just manufactured to look like a 1900 piece, the mirror is gone, if you are going to sell it then sell it as is for 200 retail, to sell to a dealer, 100 at most as they would have to put work in it and to properly have this restored would cost about 650.

i am conflicted about the date on the back, it does not make sense to me.  perhaps you can send some pictures of the whole back and drawers and inside to my email--make them clear as attachments to one email and include this post.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971