Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Barber chair

Barber chair
Barber chair  
I purchased this barber chair recently. The lady told me it was used in Michigan at lumber camps. Supposedly carried by horse and cart. Headrest and main wood frame have matching numbers. Metal frame also has a number. Chair does recline but no hydraulics. I am wondering who the maker might be as the tag is gone and there is no metal plate on the footrest. The footrest has a wood footrest. Also maybe a fair market value of the chair?

Headrest # 20002
Wood frame # 20002
Meatl brackets 709 and 710

since there were many manufacturers of these chairs, without the label we will never know the manufacturer.  the metal might have foundry marks on it but that only tells of where the castings came from.

this style is from the 1870-80s.  this is when they were in the arena of making these that tipped back some but still did not swivel or have hydraulics.  

the wood is oak.

ones like this are not plentiful anymore, and the condition is good.

an in shop fair market value would depend on the venue but conservatively 12-1500$.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971