Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bennington Vermont end table

end table
end table  

Good Morning Mr. Taylor!

I recently spotted this end table at a garage sale and thought it was in great shape besides the terrible spray paint job someone did on it.

It is stamped on the inside of the drawer but pretty worn out. I can see it says Bennington Vermont and Collection. I read another answer you gave someone so I believe it is Vermont Furniture Company's Bennington Collection.

As I was sanding I saw some great color from the stain beneath it. I have attached some pictures here. Can you give me any more information about it, how old it may be or if it is worth anything? I am sure the paint has taken away from it.

Thank you so much for your time!

Valerie - Your table is made of pine and was stained a very dark brown. It was part of the Early American trend of the late 1960s and early 1970s. It has no antique or collector's value. It is simply an old pine table, still useful of course but not valuable.

You will make yourself crazy trying to sand all the paint off that table. Try some chemical stripper like KleanStrip KS# 3 from Home Depot.
Good luck. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida