Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Eagle Lock Company Trunk

Question
Trunk
Trunk  

Trunk with drawer
Trunk with drawer  
I have an old Eagle Rock Company trunk and would like to find out more about it.  I am attaching a picture to see if you can tell me anything.

Thank you for your time.

Suzanne

Answer
1911 Trunks
1911 Trunks  

1920 Totty Trunk Co.
1920 Totty Trunk Co.  
Suzanne,

Your trunk is almost certainly American made and from the time period of about 1910 to the 1930's. Many trunk companies made trunks of this style and so without a label it's impossible to say where it came from. It's hard to tell for certain from your pictures if this is all metal covered, but these were made with canvas, metal, and pressed fiber covering. The hardware was originally brass plated but that is almost always worn off. The lock can be replaced if it's missing or not working. The interiors were usually paper covered and it's good that it still has the tray with the cover. These large trunks were made as general purpose travel trunks. Some of these had leather tie down straps and some did not. It looks like it's in fairly rough condition on the exterior, but it could be cleaned up and restored or repainted. The value is not too high in that condition and these can be found at flea markets, yard sales, etc. in the range of about $50 to $100 in most areas.

I'm attaching a couple pages from old trunk catalogs from 1911 and 1920 with similar trunks, but they won't look just like yours as each company made them a little different. You may be able to see some of the details they gave about their trunks.  I hope that helps.

Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller