Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hall Tree

Full View
Full View  

Carving View
Carving View  
Hello Mr. Klein,
I was hoping to learn more about this hall tree. I’m interested in finding out the age, style, wood (Oak I think), manufacturer, and value. And anything else you think important.

And thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge with us.

it is oak and quartersawn oak.  made around 1890/1900, late victorian in style.

this is a good one as i am sure you know.  determining the manufacturer from the 5000 that were in operation at the time is not possible without a label.  there may be one on the back.  have you looked?

i will guess that this is about 42-48 inches wide?? and maybe 7 feet tall??

if i saw this at auction i would have to pay about 800-1000 to buy it unless everyone else was sleeping.  after a bit of cleaning and/or waxing--this is not said due to anything i see in the photos--it is just what i do, and doing any repairs necessary, it would price at a minimum of 2000-2500 in a retail setting.  this will vary depending on the actual venue.
selling from home it would bring less than from a shop.

very good one!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971