Collectibles-General (Antiques)/identiy chair

child\'s chair
child's chair  

I purchased this child's rocking chair about two years ago from a junk guy at work. My first grandchild was recently born and she is a girl.  I wanted to give this chair to her but I wanted to retain the age and integrity of the the item.  

Did this always have a cushioned bottomed or was it cane, etc.  What period does it date back to?  I took pictures of the fabric that was on it.  It was a cushion with a pleated edge nailed around the front.  The cushion was not professional.  The fabric had raw edges around the spindles, arm supports, and rails of the chair.

I have more images but this website will not allow more.

this is a mid 20th c chair.  had a cushion bottom and back.  it is done in the colonial revival style, perhaps by one of the better known companies like sleigh, but without a label we will never know.  there were several companies doing this in gardner ma.

wood was usually a hard wood, maple, beech, birch although many were done in sweet gum and tulip poplar as well.  they were stained honey color and in darker walnut.

if there was a caned sear there would be evidence of that but usually they had webbing with a cushion in the seat, back cushion had loops at the top and bottom to hold it in place.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971