Collectibles-General (Antiques)/identiy chair

Question
child\'s chair
child's chair  

chair3
chair3  
I purchased this child's rocking chair about two years ago from a junk guy at work. My first grandchild was recently born and she is a girl.  I wanted to give this chair to her but I wanted to retain the age and integrity of the the item.  

Did this always have a cushioned bottomed or was it cane, etc.  What period does it date back to?  I took pictures of the fabric that was on it.  It was a cushion with a pleated edge nailed around the front.  The cushion was not professional.  The fabric had raw edges around the spindles, arm supports, and rails of the chair.

I have more images but this website will not allow more.

Answer
this is a mid 20th c chair.  had a cushion bottom and back.  it is done in the colonial revival style, perhaps by one of the better known companies like sleigh, but without a label we will never know.  there were several companies doing this in gardner ma.

wood was usually a hard wood, maple, beech, birch although many were done in sweet gum and tulip poplar as well.  they were stained honey color and in darker walnut.

if there was a caned sear there would be evidence of that but usually they had webbing with a cushion in the seat, back cushion had loops at the top and bottom to hold it in place.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein