Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Neverbreak Trunk

Hi, I went picking and found a black, canvas from what I can tell, Neverbreak trunk.  The canvas is rolling back and the leather straps have deteriorated, the metal fixtures rusted, but otherwise, in good condition and totally restorable.  Was wondering the worth.  Def a cool old truck.  Was going to keep as is and use for decor (depending on the worth).  Obviously the metal name/brand plate is still intact. It measures, 22wx36l and 17deep...apprx.

Neverbreak trunks were a line of trunks made by L. Goldsmith & Son trunk company of Newark, NJ. They were in business for many years and made many styles, models, and sizes of trunks. Most of the Neverbreak trunks were wood covered with a layer of vulcanized fiber, which is a flexible, heat treated, pressed fiber material made in sheets for covering trunks. It was made in many colors and was often colored to resemble leather. It could also be canvas covered and it's usually not too hard to tell the difference, especially if there is an wear of the canvas where you can see the texture or threads of the canvas. But since there were many styles of these trunks I would really need to see couple pictures to give an estimate of the value. It really depends on the style, condition, age, rarity, size, and sometimes even location. Most old trunks that are restorable have at least a value of about $50 to $100, but some are worth two or three times that much, and possibly more if it is something unusual or rare.  The size you gave is a fairly common size of a travel trunk of the first half of the 1900's.  The main thing is that you like the trunk and it's fine to use it for décor purposes.  

Marvin Miller  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.