Collectibles-General (Antiques)/thimbles

Hi Barbara,
My mother asked me to sell her thimble collection for her, and I am at a loss. I have looked everywhere for a reference on how much a few of them are worth. The ones I can't find anywhere are popeye and popeye characters with the names underneath them. On the inside it says birchcroft, and made in U.K. I have come across 2-3 popeye thimbles in my research and none with the names on them. They are in good condition, the tops of them look like a golf ball surface would be, and gold ring around the bottom. Any information ir advice would be so helpful.  Thanks in advance!

Hello Laurie.  

It sounds as though you are describing contemporary/modern thimbles and I don't specialize in those.  Because they are so new, you won't find any reference guides for pricing.  Your best bet is to search ebay for selling prices.  That will probably be your best avenue for selling them, as well.  

If you would like to send me your email address, I can pass your information on to a number of contemporary collectors I know and ask them to get in touch with you if they may be interested.  My email is

Sorry I can't be of more help with your thimbles.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

Organizations; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award