Collectibles-General (Antiques)/trunk

i have a wardrobe trunk i just scored on at a yard sale. and i am trying to researh it a little bit all i know is its a wardrobe trunk made by crusader trunk in san francisco, ca. excelsior is the lock co.

I get many questions about these trunks partly because many trunk companies made these for quite a few years and many are still around. Wardrobe trunks are basically like a mobile clothes dresser and closet. These typically have several drawers on one side and clothes hangers on the other side but there were several fancier models with various features. These didn't really come on the scene until about 1900 and then really became very popular from the 1910's to the 1930's but were made by some companies into the early 1950's. The Montgomery Ward trunk catalog of 1897 didn't even contain wardrobe trunks but had all other styles. Then after about 1910 all the trunk companies made or carried wardrobe trunks. Most were made between about 1920 and the 1940's by a couple dozen large companies in the U.S. Several lock companies make trunk locks for these including Eagle, Yale, Corbin, Excelsior Lock company and others, but they didn't make the trunks. There were many models of wardrobe trunks with different features including expanding clothes racks, hat cases, ironing boards and irons, fold down desks, shoe cases, clothes bags, lights, etc.. Some were fairly simple but others were quite elaborate with many drawers and compartments, fold up tops, mirrors, and revolving stands. Nearly all wardrobe trunks came complete with wooden clothes hangers and tie down straps inside. They ranged in size from the smaller compact models to huge trunks nearly the size of phone booths. I wonder how many people it took to move some of these enormous trunks, especially loaded with clothes! Based on research I've done it appears that more patents were issued for wardrobe trunks than any other trunk style. The largest makers of wardrobe trunks were companies in Wisconsin, including Hartmann, Wheary, Oshkosh, and others. But companies all over the United States and also in Europe made wardrobe trunks. Some wardrobe trunks have labels from the maker such as Hartmann, Wheary, Oshkosh, Seward, Wilt, Likly, Winship, Drucker, National, Parkhurst, Indestructo, Innovation, Goyard, Louis Vuitton and many other trunk makers. Now and then, I still see a wardrobe trunk with no maker's label on it. This could be because these trunks were often made to be sold by furniture and retail luggage stores who sometimes put their own labels on them. While a few wardrobe style trunks were patented and made in the late 1890's,the majority were made between 1920 to the 1940's. Some of the earlier wardrobe trunks were canvas or leather covered wood, however most wardrobe trunks were plywood covered in vulcanized fibre and made in a variety of colors. Vulcanized fibre was a hard waterproof material but more flexible and also more durable than leather or canvas. Most wardrobe trunks made after 1900 had brass plated hardware, but a few were made with solid brass hardware, which is fairly rare to find. (If a magnet sticks, it's not solid brass) The lining of wardrobe trunks varies from paper covered, to cloth, linen, and even silk on high end models. A variety of wardrobe trunk pictures, ads, and patents are available for view on the Showcase page of to show some of the variety. Don't be too surprised if yours is different somehow from these as I have seen hundreds of different looking wardrobe trunks!

Keep in mind that even though today you will hear many people call these "steamer trunks" they are really something completely different than the original steamer trunk. The early trunk catalogs from the 1880's through the 1920's showed and described steamer trunks as the low style flat top trunks which were designed to fit under berths on steamships. They were typically about 12 to 14 inches tall. Some catalogs also called them cabin trunks. I've seen some other websites call them half trunks, but they were never called that. Somehow over the years the term steamer trunk was gradually applied to all old travel trunks.  

I don't have any specific history on the Crusader trunks from San Francisco, but there were many trunk companies making them and very little information is available on many of the companies. I hope you enjoy using your wardrobe trunk.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.