Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk/luggage?

Question
Trunk
Trunk  

Trunk
Trunk  
Hi. A friend who is renting an apartment in this old mansion house built in 1887, give me this trunk, the current owners of this house, just clean up some other areas of the house and trown away a bunch of stuff, the trunk it was  part of.

I really will like to know any information about this trunk.

Dimensions:  30" by 17", (depth 12")
Construction: covered wood with base metal fittings
Type: Trunk / luggage?
Lock: Eagle Lock Co, Terryville, conn, U.S.A.  (Key number 22 registered in the back of the lock)
Note: (I do not have any key).

Thank you so much for your attention and I will be looking forward for any response.

Answer
1920 steamer trunks
1920 steamer trunks  
Hello,
This trunk is a true "steamer" style trunk made sometime from about 1920 to the 1940's. The trunk is covered with vulcanized fiber which was a hard heat treated and pressed fiber material which was used on many types of trunks of the early to mid 1900's. The drawbolt style latches were first used on trunks in about 1918 and then for many years later. The Eagle Lock Company of Terryville, CT was in business until 1954 and made that style lock for many trunk companies. This style trunk was also made for the military for use as footlockers from WWI until the early 1940's. A "steamer trunk" was a trunk of this style and size, which could only be up to 14" tall according to steamship line regulations.  The key code 22 would help you find a key if interested in finding another one.  These trunks were made with a lift out tray.  I'm attaching a page from a 1920 trunk catalog which shows a couple steamer trunks which have the same style drawbolt latches.  I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller