Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Type of wood

I'm considering buying a Northern Furniture Sheboygan WI 5 drawer dresser with skeleton locks on each drawer.  The piece is very well made and has wheels.  I can't tell the type of wood since the piece has been painted several  times.  The paint is pealing off and I've tried to research the company to find how what type of wood they used.  Best guess is ashe or poplar.  My hopes is the piece would be oak but I don't think so.

Hi Cissy
Not sure I see a question here but researching the company will not tell you what type of wood the piece is.
Look inside a drawer on the back of the drawer front. Even when folks painted these pieces, they rarely painted inside.
And unless its a veneered piece the wood can be identified.
Take a picture of the wood and post it to me.
Ash and popular are very easy to tell apart. Ash has a coarse grain (a bit similar to oak), and is hard popular has no grain and its softer (its called a soft hardwood around these parts). But I doubt its popular.
Get back

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk

I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.

I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.