Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Writing Chair w/dropdown writing surface

Question
Writing Chair -Polly
Writing Chair -Polly  

Writing Chair 2 -Polly
Writing Chair 2 -Polly  
We acquired this chair at the Fall Clinch River Antique Festival in Clinton TN. It is fairly solid, although it is missing the seat rail on the side opposite the writing surface and is in need of glue on several joints. The writing surface is solid and stable when raised, and folds down nicely when not in use. My husband and I re-purpose old chairs and would like to bring this chair back to useable condition because it is so unique. We would probably cord the seat after replacing the rail and would clean and refinish the surface - no sanding or striping - more like Howard's or Formby's.
We don't want to ruin an authentic piece and would appreciate your opinion on if we should proceed or not - depending on the value and any history that could influence the re-work.
Thanks

Answer
you have several options on restoration and/or conservation.  I recently bought a similar chair for 135 at a local shop.  if i were to sell it it would be priced at 300 minimum.  i left it alone as i liked the look but i did clean it up with mineral spirits then waxed it with Briwax.  might be something for you to consider.

this chair is from around 1880 and i see that your very best friends are in the picture!!

if the seat rail is missing or broken out this can be replaced without cutting the seat out.  it is tricky but can be done if you are game.  you have to carefully make one of the holes deeper-using a flat bottom drill bit called a forstner bit--so you can slide the new round into the hole then put the other end into the opposite hole then find the middle ground and when you glue it in use wedges cut from tulip poplar to hold it in place in the hole.  there are a couple of other nuances doing this if yo are interested we an discuss.  There is also another method as well.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein