Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique / Vintage Walnut Dining Room Table

Walnut Table
Walnut Table  

Walnut Table
Walnut Table  
Dear Fred, we are wondering if you could help us identify the age, style, and estimated retail market value of this dining room table?
We are pretty sure the top is walnut veneer and the legs some secondary wood. We fell in love with its base, thought first that it was from the 20's to 40's, but have not come across this type of legs before, so are not sure.
There is an extension mechanism but no leaves.
Size: 58" long, 44" wide, 30" high with casters, 28.5 " without.
Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Doris - Your table is made of walnut veneer and secondary wood as you suggest. The table is from the mid 1930s. The "style" is a combination (typical of the period) of William and Mary (curved stretchers) and Jacobean (bulb legs).

The casters should remain on the table to maintain the standard table height of 30". At 28.5" it would feel too low.

I can't give an estimate of a retail value, too many variables, but I can give an auction (wholesale fair market) value. The table would sell at auction, without the leaf, in the $200-$250 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida