Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Grand Rapids Chair Co Dinning room

Hi Mr. Taylor,

I just purchased a dining table with a leaf and six chairs. I discovered the Grand Rapids label and did a little research. I discovered it was in the 1920's-1940's based on the label. I have not been able to confirm anything else. I'm pretty sure it's Mahogany Laminate and the only other legible markings are the numbers 739 on every piece.

I originally purchased this to refinish and either keep or resell. I'm just not sure how much time to invest given the condition of it. If its of value I understand I need an expert on reconditioning the items not an armature such as myself. I was not able to find similar pieces in this style. Please advise so I know which direction to head in.

Thank you for your time!

Veronica - Your set is from the late 1920s to mid 1930s. The style is part of the Colonial Revival period of American furniture when styles from our colonial past were reproduced. The style reproduced in your set is called Jacobean named for King James I of the early 17th century. The Latin term for James is Jacob. The style is readily identifiable by the large bulb turnings on the legs. It was popular in the American colonies in the late 17th and early 18th century and was revived during the Depression era.

The table top and chair splat (back rest) have walnut veneer on them, not mahogany. The rest of the pieces, frames, legs, stiles, etc are made of a secondary wood, probably red gum that has been stained to look like walnut.

This style from this period and this construction is pretty commonplace and professional restoration would greatly exceed market value. This is a "use it or sell it as is" set or a DIY restoration project. Current auction value on the table and chairs is in the very low hundreds.

A number of similar sets can be seen in the book "American Manufactured Furniture" by Don Fredgant, Schiffer. It is a  compilation of manufacturer’s promotional material to retailers for the model year 1929. It can be found on  at    

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida