Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood chair

Question
Antique Heywood chair
Antique Heywood chair  
I swear someone left this chair on the side of the road for the trash collectors to pick up.  It is driving me crazy because I cleaned it up and it is gorgeous.  It was maid by Heywood bros.  There are metal "escutcheons" at the tops of the legs, that say Heywood bros. Gardner Mass.

I know the people threw it out bc there is a big (and I think fixable crack) in the base of the seat.  The metal does not say "wakefield", so I think it is really old.  Did I find something cool or do I now have another piece of old cat lady furniture.  This is a pic of the metal piece and the crack.  I will send more picks if you want.  It is such a pretty piece.  

The following is a url from someone who had refinished the same chair.  Mine looks exactly like it except it is in its original form.

I am going crazy trying to figure this out. Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help you can give.

Answer
Stephanie - Heywood Brothers formed a partnership with Wakefield Rattan (Heywood Brothers & Wakefield) in 1897 so your chair predates that.

That crack is easily repairable but you should disassemble the chair to do it correctly and work with that piece alone if at all possible. It needs to be glued with yellow wood glue and clamped overnight.

The url for the chair that is similar to yours does not show in your inquiry so I don't really know what your chair looks like. I will be happy to take a look if you send me some photos. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not respond.
Thanks

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor