Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Huntzinger Game Table Patented June 1894

We have a mahogany game table which had a green felt on one side, which we replaced with red felt, and a wooden inlay chess or checker board on the other side, which has some scratches on it.  Is this table worth anything or is it good for a plant stand? Thank you for your response.

Patti - That is a famous form of a Hunzinger table. There are a number of variations of wood and tops in that design. The most common woods are quartersawn oak and Honduran mahogany. Top variations include a plain wood top, or a felt top on one side and inlaid chess board or a poker top with chip/drink cups around the edge.

The best sellers appear to be the oak tables with the plain wood top one one side and the poker top on the other which sell at auction in the $800-$1,000 range. Mahogany tables with the felt and chess arrangement sell in the $200-$30-0 range. Condition of course is a major factor in the value.

It is certainly not a plant stand. It was designed by one of America's most prolific furniture designers/builders. The design was patented in 1894 and Hunzinger died in 1899 so it was one of his later deigns.

Take care of the table and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Patti - The value should be $200-$300, not $200-$30-0. Sorry for the typo.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida