Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lion head chairs added pics

lion head chairs1
lion head chairs1  
lion head chairs2
lion head chairs2  
QUESTION: My mother purchased these chairs in the mid 1960's. 2 with arms, 4 without.I've searched the internet and can't find these chairs there. I have been told they may be late 19th century. Can you tell if they're oak, have an age range or any idea of value? Three of them have partially missing claws on the foot. Any information you can give is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: you will have to send another picture to identify the wood.  clear, in focus, and close enough to see the grain.  try to find an area where the dark finish has worn off so i can see the wood surface.

QUESTION: Mr. Klein,
Thank you for your reply. As requested attached are additional pics showing wood grain. Thanks for your time.

Charles M

definitely oak.

any label indicating the manufactory.

everyone always says R J Horner when they see carving like this but there were hundreds of companies that did this.  it is a combination of machine and hand work.

originally this would have been a larger set, perhaps 10 even 12 chairs, table, china, server, sideboard.  or just a fantastic set of chairs.

most i have seen have a different style of leg but this leg fits with the stiles-vertical pieces forming the back legs to the top.

1885-1910; popular and high style items were built for a while.

if i had these in my shop i would ask 600 each as is if they are tight. but in different shops-fancy ones-they would go higher.  however that it retail and in a shop.  a private seller probably would not get more than 400 each.  then there is insurance value which i would put at 1200-1500 each.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971