Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Secretary with drawers and shelves

front closed view
front closed view  

front open view
front open view  
I recently purchased the secretary with drawers and shelves. I have one more photo that shows the decorative design on the sides. It is in fair condition. There is some damage to the vaneer on the back lower corner. There are also two tags on the back that identify it came from Stonington furniture in Brewer Maine. I contacted them, but the current owner can't tell me anything about this piece.I would like to know who made it, how old it is, and how much its worth. In its current condition. I don't have plans to refinish it at this time.

Thank you very much for your time.

without a manufacturers label there is no way anyone can tell you which out of 5000 manufacturers made this piece.

it is a 1940 piece, probably mahogany veneer and once waxed and cleaned up would sell in an antiques mall at 325-375

the desk part is called a butlers desk.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971