Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Stickley Bros Quaint Furniture bed

Question
Stickley Bed
Stickley Bed  

copper label
copper label  
Dear Mr. Taylor,
I have come across this Stickley Bros Quaint Furniture bed or maybe day bed. It is oak and has a copper label with "Quaint Furniture, Stickley Bros, Grand Rapids, Michigan" and a logo on the inside lengthwise side rail. As you can tell from the picture it is sun bleached and has one broken slat. It is aprox. 72" long, and just over 27" wide. Height of the head board is 23", and the foot board is 14", this is not counting the wooden castors. It has 30 wooden slats. My questions are: I know you are not supposed to refinish this type of antique but should we oil it because the wood is so dry? Can you give me some kind of idea of its value? I have not been able to find anything on this. None of the Stickley Bros beds I can find look like this. Thank you so much for your time. Judi

Answer
Judi - The Art Nouveau label indicates your daybed is part of the original Quaint series of Arts & Crafts/Mission style furniture made by Stickley Brothers 1902-1915.

DO NOT oil that bed. The bed appears to have been chemically bleached, not sun bleached. A lot of furniture from this period had a dark "fumed" finish and later owners wanted to lighten it up to golden oak. Since the original finish has been destroyed there is no harm in total restoration including repairs and refinishing.

I could not find an exact match to this bed but a similar Stickley Bros daybed with elevated head section is valued in one of my reference books at $1500 with original finish in excellent condition. I would expect you bed to sell at auction in the $300-$500 range.

Here is a site filled with Stickley daybeds. You may be able to get som emore information there

https://www.google.com/search?q=stickley+day+bed&client=firefox-a&hs=WZu&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=2V2DUvfXFYXd2QXrzIG4Aw&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=863

or you contact Treadway Toomey at http://www.treadwaygallery.com or David Rago at http://www.ragoarts.com

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor