Collectibles-General (Antiques)/velvet cushion chairs

Velvet cushion chair
Velvet cushion chair  

Velvet cushion chair 2
Velvet cushion chair 2  
Hello Mr. Klein,

Recently my husband and I began picking up some old and antique furniture from garage/estate sales and the side of the road! I have many pieces I would like to find more information on. I have been drawn to chairs lately and here is one of them.

I have 3 of these chairs with what looks like original velvet cushions. On the underside you can see where the webbing was tacked into place. I did not see any markings on the chairs to try to identify them at all.

Any information would be appreciated!

these are most likely reproduction victorian chairs made around 1920-30 by one of the several companies that specialized in that area.  victoriana, kimball and pelham are three.

without close clear pictures of the finished wood to see the wood grain and a picture with the dust cover removed it is very difficult to determine age on most any upholstered chairs.

followup with a clear close in focus pic of the wood grain and one of as close as you can to where the leg meets the frame, from underneath and inside.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971