Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique binoculars or Opera Glasses

First I wasn't sure who to ask this question too, when I search for it, I get coin operated antiques but I am sure there is no where to put a coin. I am not sure if these are Binoculars or Opera Glasses they do appear to work though, they seem to be some mother of pearl finish or some shiny egg shell finish. I would like to know more about them, like age and value. In the picture you cannot see it I didn't take pictures of it because I couldn't get it to show up, but in the finish of the part that goes by the eye it is carved in the finish and reads GEO Welsh & Son New York.  I did do some research on this man and it seems he was known for clocks but I cannot find anything about opera glasses or binoculars. Please Help.

Most of these were made in France.  it is mother of pearl or abalone and brass.  Most opera glasses have a handle to hold them by that folds--you can do a google search on "antique opera glasses" then click on 'images' ones almost identical will show up.  price ranges from 100-300$  depending on how complete they are--glasses, handle, case etc.

With the engraving on the eye piece these would have been sold from george welshs jewelery store around 1890-1900.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971