Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally 742A-M186 slot machine

Question
Bally 742A-M186
Bally 742A-M186  
Hi Roger. I am trying to find the value of a slot machine I have. The tag shows 742A-M186, then 8223, serial #154848. It is a Bally Chicago machine by International Game Technology.  It is a 3 coin 25˘ triple 7 machine. I think a grade 4 would be justified with no bad metal or wood cabinet on it. It is fully functional. The only problem per se is the tag is blank for the manufacture date. Someone with supposed knowledge told me it was worth $1200. I cannot find a comparable on the web to get an idea.  An acquaintance wants to buy it and I want to give him some slightly discounted fair price and not worried about max value. I bought it from someone who needed cash for $400. Time to clean out the house so it has to go. Attached is a pic with a quick cropping job so please forgive that part. Thank you in advance! Tim

Answer
Hi Tim,

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but this is no model 742-A, the 742-A came out in 1964 and was a lot smaller machine all around, and was an electro/mechanical slot machine. This is a Bally series "E" for electronic slot machine, meaning it has circuit boards in it which the Bally 742-A did not. This I am sure is a Bally Series "E" Model E-2090 I believe and made in or around 1983. It could be that someone switched the model number tag on it and sold it as a 1964 machine instead of the 1983 machine that it is. Value is hard to guess, there is not really a blue book to go buy. If I were going to be selling it I would guess it would sell from a low of day $400.00 to a high of around $1,000.00 and I would be fine with taking say 6 to 7 hundred for it and by selling it in a non retail way. Like on crags list or through a want add or even on consignment. I hope this will answer most of you questions about this machine and if not, please let me know what else I could do to help you. If you need a manual or manuals for this machine or even the Model 742-A you can find them at the web site below.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson
Http://www.coinslots.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson