Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bobbin Turned Daybed

Question
Daybed #1
Daybed #1  

Daybed #2
Daybed #2  
Hi!
I contacted you a few weeks ago regarding this piece but believe I have better pictures now.
I was wondering if you could help in identifying the piece in this photo.  It has been in my grandfather's home for quite some time and I am thinking it is a bobbin turned daybed or Jenny Lind?
I would love to find a value for it as well so that it is insured properly.

Answer
we always called these spool turned but the last 15-20 years bobbin has emerged more that before.  either would be ok. jenny lind is the popular name or more common name althoug when these were first produced no one knew of her--go figure.

looks like it may be cherry wood in photo 2.

i would place it around 1860 but would ask you to look carefully at the metal and see if there is a patent date on teh metal.

i would put an insurance value of 1500.  actual selling price would be around one third of that in a shop.

it is unique, unusual and i have not seen one in this particular style.  the turnings are well done, with good style and shape.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein