Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bobbin Turned Daybed

Daybed #1
Daybed #1  

Daybed #2
Daybed #2  
I contacted you a few weeks ago regarding this piece but believe I have better pictures now.
I was wondering if you could help in identifying the piece in this photo.  It has been in my grandfather's home for quite some time and I am thinking it is a bobbin turned daybed or Jenny Lind?
I would love to find a value for it as well so that it is insured properly.

we always called these spool turned but the last 15-20 years bobbin has emerged more that before.  either would be ok. jenny lind is the popular name or more common name althoug when these were first produced no one knew of her--go figure.

looks like it may be cherry wood in photo 2.

i would place it around 1860 but would ask you to look carefully at the metal and see if there is a patent date on teh metal.

i would put an insurance value of 1500.  actual selling price would be around one third of that in a shop.

it is unique, unusual and i have not seen one in this particular style.  the turnings are well done, with good style and shape.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971