Collectibles-General (Antiques)/came with the condo.

red piece
red piece  

Hi Mr.Taylor. These two pieces came with the condo we just bought. Can you give me some insight on how old they are? I do not see anything that suggests a maker. Interested in the value of them as well.

Rick - The desk is the famous oak "Chautauqua" desk made and sold by the Larkin Soap Co of Buffalo, NY and given as a premium for the purchase of soap products. It was first sold by Larkin 1892 and first appeared in the Larkin catalog in 1901. It was sold throughout the 1910s. The desk came in several revised versions over the years. Yours is one of the earliest.
In today's market these desks  sell in the $150 range at auction but often sell for $300 or more in retail settings. Here's more on the subject.

The low dresser with mirror is from the same period. It is made of oak but appears to have been "antiqued". It is a washstand/shaving stand. The rack to the right of the mirror was for towels. The trim decorations are not actually carved. They are machine made molding and are nailed to the surface. This piece would sell at auction in the $50 range. Pieces like this were mass produced for the mail order trade.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida