Collectibles-General (Antiques)/came with the condo.

Question
red piece
red piece  

desk
desk  
Hi Mr.Taylor. These two pieces came with the condo we just bought. Can you give me some insight on how old they are? I do not see anything that suggests a maker. Interested in the value of them as well.

Answer
Rick - The desk is the famous oak "Chautauqua" desk made and sold by the Larkin Soap Co of Buffalo, NY and given as a premium for the purchase of soap products. It was first sold by Larkin 1892 and first appeared in the Larkin catalog in 1901. It was sold throughout the 1910s. The desk came in several revised versions over the years. Yours is one of the earliest.
In today's market these desks  sell in the $150 range at auction but often sell for $300 or more in retail settings. Here's more on the subject.
http://www.bottlebooks.com/Larkinstory/chautauqua_desk.htm

The low dresser with mirror is from the same period. It is made of oak but appears to have been "antiqued". It is a washstand/shaving stand. The rack to the right of the mirror was for towels. The trim decorations are not actually carved. They are machine made molding and are nailed to the surface. This piece would sell at auction in the $50 range. Pieces like this were mass produced for the mail order trade.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor