Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hand me down china cabinet

Cabinet back
Cabinet back  
Hi, I have a china cabinet that was handed down to me from my aunt. I'm not sure where she got it from but it looks old. I can't find any names on it anywhere. I am going to attach a photo of the cabinet and a number I found stamped to the back. If you could help me find out who made it and in what year. That would be helpful. Also is it worth anything. I feel it's priceless but not everyone is as attached to it as I am. Thanks!

April - Your china cabinet is from the 1930s. The style was called “Art Moderne” when it was introduced in the 1930s. It was popular into the late 1940s. Today we call the style Art Deco, a term coined in the 1960s. The rounded top edge is called a "waterfall."  The veneer on the top runs from back to front instead of side to side as it does in most styles. As it goes over the rounded edge this gives the effect of “going over a waterfall.”

The wood is striped walnut veneer.

Without a label there is no way to tell who made it. Nearly every company in business made furniture in this style in that period.

The cabinet would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida