Collectibles-General (Antiques)/imp trade stimulator

Question
I have a Mills Imp trade stimulator. The reels on it spin but only spin one quick rotation then has a sudden stop. Do I need a new pump or can I just lube this pump up real good and maybe the reel gears also. I have totally restored this and it looks awesome but I need to get the reels spinning properly. Thanks for any help you can give.  Steve

Answer
Hi Steve,

One quick rotation and then the machine stops the reels too early, right. It is indexing the reels way to fast. When you pull the handle on a machine you are creating energy by stretching all the springs, once the machine kicks the reel off it would stop right away without a way to let that stored energy play out slowly and some what controlled. That is the pumps job on trade stimulator's that use pumps, and on a slot machine it uses a clock with a fan to do the same thing. So, your pump is not holding the energy back long enough and this could be a bad seal, dry seal, and most likely it needs oil to help the piston seal inside the pump seal better. On the back of the pump you should see a screw and a locking nut, look just above it on the pumps end and you will see a tiny hole. As you turn the screw in you close the vent hole, screw it out and you open it allowing the presser inside to go out faster. What you need to do is add some oil to the bump by taking that screw and nut out, and shoot a little oil into the pump. For pumps I use a leather neatsfoot oil because this oil is made for leather, and regular oil is not good for leather. Most handle pumps on slot machines uses a leather seal inside the pump. I am not sure if trade stimulator's use a leather seal or something else but to be safe, I would use a leather oil like neatsfoot oil. After you get some oil into the pump, play it once or twice without the screw so the excess oil can escape if needed. Then put your screw and locknut back in and play it. If it stops to fast start turning that screw in until you get it to hold back the spinning of the reel to the point that the machine stops the reels just before they stop on their own, and you will have it adjusted right. If after adding oil and trying to adjust the pump and you can't make a difference at all, then you might need a new pump or figure a way to get it open so you can rebuild it if possible. I hope this helps and I would like to know if you are able to get it to work right.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson
Http://www.coinslots.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson