Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rocking chair

Question
rocking chair
rocking chair  
I was curious u to know anything about this rocking chair I have I would like to know if it is worth anything or how old it is ?

Answer
Kattie - Your chair is called a "face" chair. Figures in the back of a chair were very popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. There were many German woodworkers in America at the time and some of the figures came from Black Forest mythology. Others came from Greek and Roman mythology. Some of the gargoyles and grotesques were from Gothic legends of the Middle Ages.

The chair is factory made from around the turn of the 20th century, 1890-1910. It is made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany.

If the chair is in solid condition it would sell at auction in the $75-$125 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor