Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique card table

card table
card table  

card table
card table  
this card table is not in very good shape i'm not sure how they would put the picture on it. would you be able to tell me where it was made , how old it is and its value. thank you for your time i appreciate your willingness to help

Walley - Your table is from the Depression era of the 1920s and 30s. It falls in the category of "novelty" furniture. During the Depression era many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables, smoking stands and card tables. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books.

Chicago was the hub of the novelty furniture industry but items were made all over the country. Without a label it is impossible to tell who  made it and where. Most novelty items have little value in today's market. Your card table would sell at auction in the $25-range.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida