Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Sewing Rocking Chair

Rocking Chair
Rocking Chair  
Hello-I was given an antique rocking chair and after doing some research I believe it is a sewing chair. On the back of the seat there is a date of 1893 and the number 348 etched into it on one side and MINN on the other. Wondering if you can shed some light on it's value.

Sara - The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to feminine tasks. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

The 1893 number may be a date but it also could be a model number or lot number or the year the manufacturer was founded. The chair was not made in 1893. It appears to be an oak Mission style rocker from the 1910s/1920s and would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida