Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Augusta Trunk Factory

QUESTION: I recently got an old trunk that was made by the Augusta Trunk Factory in GA.  All I can find on this company is that it burned down in 1916.  Do you know anything else about this company?

1911 trunk
1911 trunk  
Augusta label
Augusta label  
ANSWER: Kelly,
I've had and seen a variety of trunks made by the Augusta Trunk Factory over the last 20 years or more, and all of them were styles made from the 1890's to the time the factory burned in 1916.  Like most trunk companies of that time, they made a variety of trunk styles, round top and flat top, covered with either canvas, metal, fibre, or leather. I don't have any history of the company to know exactly when they opened, but you might be able to get some help from the Business Bureau or historical society of Augusta. Many towns had trunk companies around that time including Atlanta and several others in Georgia. I'm attaching a picture of one of their labels and one style trunk they probably made, which is from a Nashville trunk company catalog of 1911.  Sorry I can't provide any more history of the company, but if you sent a couple pictures of your trunk I may be able to tell you more about it and the approximate age.

QUESTION: This one is more than a little rough, part of what I honestly like about it (I guess that might be strange).  I've picked up a few old trunks over the years (my favorite find so far being a wardrobe trunk with its keys in a Goodwill!)  This one seems huge to me, at 5'7  I could sit inside of it.  I also don't know if this means anything but the label in mine is different, the shape is an oval and oddly enough given the shape of the rest of it, in very good condition.

1911 Flat trunk
1911 Flat trunk  
That flat top canvas covered trunk has hardware used mostly between 1890 to about 1910 and a little later. Trunks did not change much during that time period and they used the same hardware and locks for many years.  Some folks like them rough and some prefer them completely restored. The handles and leather straps can be replaced if desired.  The bottom piece of the lock can be found and I sometimes have that style for sale.  These trunks were made in many sizes and the Wardrobe trunks were sometimes very large.  They usually had drawers inside but sometimes those are missing. The labels changed a little with some companies, but I don't know when Augusta Trunk Factory changed theirs. It's nice that it has a label because many trunks don't have one.  Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.