Collectibles-General (Antiques)/chair age

Question
chair front
chair front  

chair underside
chair underside  
Hi Fred I recently found this chair at an estate auction and fell in love with the hand carvings. It's completley solid and dosen't wobble at all. I noticed that as i pulled the seat up there was straw and all types of hair used for the cushion of the seat. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about this chair. I would appriciate it whatever you could tell me. what i can tell is that its solid wood, all nail or screw holes have been plugged, hand carved designs... Thanks!!

Answer
Amy - Your chair was factory made around the turn of the 20th century. The parallel vertical carved lines and the shallow incised carvings on the crest rail are from the Eastlake style of the 1880s/1890s. It carried over in to the early 20th century. The chair appears to be made of birch with a walnut finish.

It was quite common in the period for upholstery to be stuffed with cotton, straw, hay and pig or horse hair. For sanitary reasons it is important to replace the upholstery and the stuffing with modern materials. Period upholstery for this style chair would have been a plain dark velvet.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor