Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Fairbanks 500 lb scale

Could you tell me about this scale?  I found this # on it 537817.  How old is it?  How much is it worth?  Thank you for any input you have to offer.

Hi Audrey,

Scales like your portable platform were manufactured for many years by Fairbanks who started manufacturing scales as early as 1830 in St Johnsbury, Vermont.  More history on the company may be found here: Based on a serial number chart provided to us by Fairbanks, your scale with serial number 537817 was manufactured 1889 and 1890.

Retail value might be $75-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill &* Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia