Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Fairbanks 500 lb scale

Question
Scale
Scale  
Could you tell me about this scale?  I found this # on it 537817.  How old is it?  How much is it worth?  Thank you for any input you have to offer.

Answer
Hi Audrey,

Scales like your portable platform were manufactured for many years by Fairbanks who started manufacturing scales as early as 1830 in St Johnsbury, Vermont.  More history on the company may be found here: http://www.fairbanks.com/company/history.cfm. Based on a serial number chart provided to us by Fairbanks, your scale with serial number 537817 was manufactured 1889 and 1890.

Retail value might be $75-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill &* Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning