Collectibles-General (Antiques)/flat steamer trunk

I have a flat steamer trunk with Eagle lock Co. Terryville conn. 8441 printed on the lock.Whats it worth,should I restore it and how old is it?

The number on the lock is the key code and with that you can find a replacement key for the lock.  But Eagle made many types of trunk locks for almost 100 years and sold them to the trunk companies. There were several lock companies that made trunk locks so the same types of trunks can be found with locks made by Eagle, Yale, Star, Corbin and other lock companies. The value of an antique trunk is based on several things including the style, condition, size, completeness, and rarity.  Many types of flat top trunks were made by different trunk companies and some were their high end models and some were very common, so they now have a wide range of values.Also, some were made with leather covering, while others have canvas, paper, metal, or even vulcanized fiber covering. The styles of hardware and locks can vary greatly on trunks, which affects the value also.  Nearly every antique trunk has some value today, but without seeing a couple good pictures I really can't see where it would fall in the range of values.  Some trunks are worth more in original condition and some are not because of the condition. The answer about restoration would depend on the condition and rarity of the trunk.  Most antique trunks will increase in value and usefulness if they are restored, but not all.  If you want to send a few pictures I will be glad to see if I can help you more.   

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.