Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gold scale?

Gold scale 1
Gold scale 1  

Gold scale 2
Gold scale 2  
Hey there. I found a gold scale in my grandparents basement. It is in a case. It says Mcallister and bicknell on it. I have pictures. I'm am curious about it and what it is worth. Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Macalaster Bicknell Co. of NJ, Inc. was founded in 1950 and currently manufactures glass for Glass Blowing and glass flasks for scientific uses. Their website is here:  The scale you have is an Analytical balance, not a gold scale.  Analytical balances were manufactured to be used in laboratories for the analysis of materials and as such are very sensitive necessitating the glass case to keep them clean.

Retail value of your 1950s or 1960s era balance might be $75-$150.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia