Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Help Identifying Gilner Rooster Cookie Jar 1959

Hello-I have a question about a Gilner rooster cookie jar. I have searched everywhere and cannot find one like it. It is a solid brown rooster with white accents. The markings on the bottom are: Gilner G610 but also the names Edith, Dorine, Gladys, Thelma, Rita. AND the date 1959. But the Gilner Pottery Co. burned down in 1958; a year earlier. Did they continue to make pottery after that? Or is this a fake?  Help!  Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hey Laura, thanks for the question.

The piece looks nice to me, but one can never tell these days with all of the repros out there.  I would suggest emailing the folks at and send them the photos and your information.  I'm sure they could be helpful in determining if this is a legitimate piece of Gilner.

Sorry I couln't be more helpful than that, but I mainly deal in American Art Pottery from the turn of the century through about 1920.

Good luck on your quest.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

I endeavor to answer all questions relating to the "identification" of American Art Pottery from the period of roughly 1880 through 1920. I specialize in the area of arts & crafts period pottery but do not limit myself specifically to that time period.

I have 20+ years experience buying, selling and identifying American Art Pottery both on the web, to private clientele and in a brick and mortar shop in Massachusetts.

Masters degree in Education.