Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Henry Troemner Scale

Question
Scale
Scale  
I am a recent pharmacy grad and I am starting a collection of old pharmacy pieces and picked up a Henry Troemner scale from an antique store in Tampa, Florida.  Anyway, I was curious what more you could tell me about it....... what the original catalog listing  says,  the year it was made and approximate value.  I was able to talk the owner down from $300 to $220 but she wouldn't go any lower. The information that I can find on the front is as follows:

Henry Troemner cap: 1 oz, no. 200 C.B.  (this is on the little id plaque)

There is a round part that has this info:  PENNA & NYC APP'D TYPE 17 SERIAL W2

Thank you so much for your assistance, any information that you can give is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Stephen,

Congratulations on your recent graduation! We enjoy seeing old Pharmacy balances in drug stores in our area as well as in our travels. We found your balance in our 1928 Troemner catalog where it is described as follows:
"PEEERLESS" OAK BOX PRESCRIPTION SCALE, FIG. 200
Class "B"
   Scale is in an antique oak box, with white marble top, hinged glass-top lid, nickel-plated pans, screw leveling feet and level, graduated pointer index.
No. 200D furnished with drawer for weights.

Code          Dia.
NO.        Word        Cap.      Sens.        Pans        Price
200      Decadence     1 oz.     1/4 gr.      2 3/4"      $26.50
200D     Decdad        1 oz.     1/4 gr.      2 3/4"      $28.00

Troemner scales were well made and usually remain accurate after years of use.  The notation on your scale C.B. stands for Class B and it was approved for use in trade in New York and Pennsylvania which is noted on the lead seal that was used for Weights & Measures to use to certify the scale.
Retail value in excellent working condition might be $250-$350.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning