Collectibles-General (Antiques)/indian metal trunk

metal trunk
metal trunk  
Hi there, I have a large metal trunk, of which I'm hoping you might know something about. there is a red makers label inside which says
Mohd Qasim & Sons
trunk makers

it looks like it was originally black and the initials would suggest that it belonged to a man who was born either late 1890's or early 1900's.

any information you have about this or whether it's worth anything would be great! I live in scotland

Hi Lynsey,

While I don't have very much information specifically on trunk makers of India, I have seen a few similar metal trunks from India over the years. I would say that the time period in which this trunk was made would be from about 1900 to the 1930's, so that would probably fit with the information you provided. Similar metal trunks were also made in England and other European countries at that time. These typically had brass labels and brass locking mechanisms.  While the metal trunks are not in great demand and therefore prices are not usually very high on these, there are people who buy and restore them or use them in various ways. The value can vary quite a bit based on location and it's rarity in your area, but in most areas of the United States this would probably be valued in the range of about $100 to $300 in that condition. I hope that helps you some.   

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.