You are here:

Collectibles-General (Antiques)/name of table and where to buy it


I'm moving into an apartment and am looking for a specific antique dining table. Unfortunately, I don't know the name or period of it. I've seen it twice in my life, and one owner called it an "apartment table."

-Claw and Ball feet
-Expands using leaves
-the top folds over upon itself; making it a console table.
-unfolded once it is a game table (square)
-expanded with leaves it is a dining table
-the ones I saw were both a dark wood
-one owner thought it was from around the 20's

Do you know what the name of this type of table? and where I might be able to purchase one? I'm from Long Island, NY.

I'm looking for a table like the one in this posting (it has pics with the posting): Antiques-682/2012/4/antique-telescopic-table.htm

any info would be of great help!

Thank you, in advance Robert.


the link you provided does not got to anything perhaps you could try that again.  I usually will not answer question that do not have a photo attached but here goes.

what you are looking for might be called expand-o-matic made by the saginaw furniture shops in the 1920-60s.  different styles and forms but with the expanding options you seek.

i have only encountered them from owners and have never found an expand-o-matic one for sale or available for sale.  most we see are 1950s frm this company, i dont know why as they were made earlier.

'apartment table' is something applied by a well meaning person but will not be helpful in searches.  some companies made similar ones that looked like a fold over game table which would expand and accept leaves.

there were other companies that made similar tables.  i have on pictured on my ruby lane shop online.  the two rear legs pull out and the top folds over.  this one was missing the insert-able leaves so it was altered not to accept leaves.  several companies made this style.  take a look, i am not trying to sell ti to you just look for reference and tell me if this is what you refer to.

resend the link

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


robert klein


In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.


I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.