Collectibles-General (Antiques)/patten numbers

Question
how do you tell how old something is by the patten date. or the date of the last patten number. Thank you for any help. Best wishes Jim

Answer
patent date??

All you can determine is that the last patent date on the object is the absolute earliest it could be but you have to remember at times there can be a lag, for example, 1000 objects made, like the closing handle undersome tables might be dated 1920 but ther might still be using the inventory 5-10 years later.

it is a starting point but the best way on furniture is the style, woods, construction techniques, tool marks, screws, hinges and such.  that is information gathered by having looked at many similar items, remembering that things could have been repalced or that the same thing used for many years.

what did you have?????

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein