Collectibles-General (Antiques)/patten numbers

how do you tell how old something is by the patten date. or the date of the last patten number. Thank you for any help. Best wishes Jim

patent date??

All you can determine is that the last patent date on the object is the absolute earliest it could be but you have to remember at times there can be a lag, for example, 1000 objects made, like the closing handle undersome tables might be dated 1920 but ther might still be using the inventory 5-10 years later.

it is a starting point but the best way on furniture is the style, woods, construction techniques, tool marks, screws, hinges and such.  that is information gathered by having looked at many similar items, remembering that things could have been repalced or that the same thing used for many years.

what did you have?????

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971