Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pressed Oak Rocker

Question
rocking chair
rocking chair  

details
details  
Hi! I acquired this rocker from a neighbor's yard sale. I have a thing for old chairs, and this one's patina and carvings made me fall in love. Our neighbors said it belonged to their late mother and there was so much bickering amongst the family about who would inherit it that they decided to just get rid of it for $100.

All of the carvings and seat are in-tact (no chips). It still is a functional rocking chair, but could use some tightening up of some of the joints. In my search to learn more about the style, I've seen 2 exact same chairs come up in my search (without accompanying info), but they look much darker in color.

That all said, I'm wondering what you can tell me about:
- The production year
- The style
- Is it desirable among collectors?
- Is it in what would be considered good visual condition?
- What might it be worth?

Thank you VERY much for your time and expertise!!

Answer
wood is mahogany veneer and birch.  it is a good one, good condition and desirable since many have damaged seats and lifting veneers.

these were made around 1900.

this is one of those things that does not fall into a neat category.  style is empire transitioning to victorian, it has elements of both.

it has been refinished at some time and would sell at 350 in a shop.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein