Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sanitary butcher scale

plate on scale
plate on scale  
I have a pre-1940 sanitary butcher scale from Chicago with and previous inspecting from 1965 in Chicago. It is larger then most I've seen and emblems on side are not porcelain coated. Any idea of the value?

Hi Justin,

Sanitary was manufacturing scales in Chicago in the early 1900s but later moved to Belvidere< Illinois.

Most collectors are not interested in these large heavy computing barrel top Scales. Their value lies mainly in the interior design and decorators sector where they are used for focal points in a large kitchen or family room.  Retail value for a working scale like yours might be $100-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia