Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Style, date, value for chair

Question
Front view
Front view  

Side view
Side view  
Please let me know what you can about the origins and style of this chair. When was it made? What is its style?

It's condition is good, some minor scratches. Has been refinished and reupholstered.

I'd like to sell this. Please let me know what you think a reasonable price would be.

Lisa

Answer
Lisa - Your chair is from a three or five parlor set circa 1900. There probably was a rocker and a small settee in the set. The style is Empire Revival. The chair is made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany.

The chair would sell at auction in the $75-$100 range.

Nice chair. Thanks for sharing and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor