Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Style, date, value for chair

Front view
Front view  

Side view
Side view  
Please let me know what you can about the origins and style of this chair. When was it made? What is its style?

It's condition is good, some minor scratches. Has been refinished and reupholstered.

I'd like to sell this. Please let me know what you think a reasonable price would be.

Lisa - Your chair is from a three or five parlor set circa 1900. There probably was a rocker and a small settee in the set. The style is Empire Revival. The chair is made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany.

The chair would sell at auction in the $75-$100 range.

Nice chair. Thanks for sharing and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida